Ads are a funny thing, I don't hate them like some people do, there is a reason for them. Ads are how a webpage can be supported, without you needing to pay for it, so in general I do not use ad blocking software, because I feel that I owe the owner at least a few ad views for using their site. However there are a few things that are never okay, ever, for ads to do:
- Thou shalt not have ads the cover the entire page, blocking the content.
- Thou shalt not make ads that play any kind of sound without my explicit permission.
- Thou shalt not have ads which expand based on mouse hover events, only on clicks.
- Thou shalt not advertise the your website which I am already on. Self-promote in a more subtle way, it's far more effective!
- Thou shalt not make the entire background of your page into an ad, such that if I click on it I will be taken to another page.
- No advertisement should have the style of
position: fixed;unless it is within an appropriate (useful) element that is fixed for a useful reason.
- Thou shalt not display ads for porn, unless you are a porn website. Even if your content is adult in nature, your ads should never be more explicit than you are.
- Thou shalt not create pop up ads.
- If you can not help yourself, at least never create popups that are not in focus (pop-behind).
- Under no circumstances should any ad (or any part of your web page for that matter) use the